For those of us who have a epoxy garage floor reno, it can be easy to take it for granted. After all, it means we can avoid dealing with inclement weather when we go from the house to our car, have additional storage space, have and extra layer of protection against intruders and the obvious, a way to protect our vehicles from the elements. But how much do you actually know about your garage or the garage doors? Here are some fun facts from Ask Bob Carr about this important part of your home.
- More than 82 million American homes have a garage. That’s enough garages to provide shelter for every single car made worldwide last year!
- Garages are going big. Nearly 20% of all garages built are large enough to house at least 3 cars.
- Band birthplace. Famous musical bands that got their start in a garage include the Beatles, Nirvana and Metallica.
- Billionaire birthplace. Blue-chip companies that got their start in a garage include Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Walt Disney, Mattel, Microsoft and Google.
- The word “garage” comes from the French word ” garer” which means, to shelter.
- The first overhead garage was designed by C.G. Johnson in 1921; in 1926 he invented the first automatic opener.
- Having a stylish garage door increases the value of your home by 4%, and garage doors that meet the Federal Government’s energy Improvement and Extension Act will also receive a tax credit.
- The new designs of doors can even work during a power outage, thanks to having battery backup as one of the more commonly available features.
- According to statistics compiled by metropolitan police departments, homes with garages are 50% less likely to be burglarized.
Yes, your garage and by extension, the doors are important parts of your home and it is important that you take time to see that they are well maintained and cared for. Make time at least once a quarter to ensure that they are working properly. From the springs to the panels, having a well maintained garage means peace of mind – no worries about it closely when it needs to be open, no fear of it getting stuck mid-close, and the certainty that it is strong enough to keep unwanted guests out of your home. In fact, today’s garage doors are being made better than ever before!
Today, you can choose from a wide range of styles and colors in garage doors. From multi- panels to doors that look like something from the days of horsed-drawn carriages, single garage doors to… as many doors as you may want; just by adding a new garage door you are boosting curb appeal and can totally change the look of your home.
The garage is not just an afterthought when it comes to designing or upgrading a home. Don’t overlook the value of this home feature. Decide now to not just have a great looking garage door, but to see that it is maintained so that it can last for years to come.